Don't leave planning for safe sex out of your festive preparations! Here are our top tips to keep it pleasurable and safe this holiday season.
- Wrap up: Always carry a condom. Remember that contraception, including the contraceptive pill, can prevent an unplanned pregnancy but doesn't protect against sexually transmitted infections (STIs). Condoms are the best way to protect against STIs.
- Stock up: Ensure you have a supply of contraception to get you through the festive season. GPs, pharmacists and supermarkets have less regular opening hours during the holidays, making it more difficult to get contraceptive pills or condoms if you run out.
- Don’t overdo it: Alcohol can inhibit sexual pleasure and make safer sex more difficult.
- Uh Oh: If things don’t go to plan and you have unprotected sex, you can get emergency contraception from a pharmacist. The emergency contraceptive pill can be taken up to 72 or 120 hours after unprotected sex, depending on the pill used, but is more effective the sooner you take it. You should also get screened for STIs.
- Have Fun: Sex is about pleasure, fulfilment and fun so don’t do anything you don’t want to do. Remember, you can say no to anything you aren’t comfortable with at ANY time and in ANY situation.