The IFPA runs Ireland’s only clinic for the treatment of female genital mutilation (FGM). We provide free medical and psychological care for women and girls affected by FGM, including referral for surgical assessment when required.
To improve understanding and awareness of FGM, our Medical Director is available to provide a one-hour presentation on FGM to healthcare professionals and other service providers, such as social workers. Due to the Coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic, these sessions are currently provided via Zoom.
- Background to the practice of FGM
- FGM prevalence nationally and internationally
- Definition and classification of FGM
- Short- and long-term health consequences of FGM
- Possible presentations of FGM in the Irish healthcare system
- Overview of FGM consultation and management
To arrange a presentation on FGM for your group or to order information leaflets about our FGM treatment service, please contact our FGM Project Officer, Alison Spillane at email@example.com.