05 January Update
Menopause is a normal life event for women. In the past menopause was seen as the threshold of old age. Now, with increases in life expectancy, menopause can be seen as a new beginning for women.
Every woman’s experience of menopause will be different. Many women will experience some negative symptoms leading up to menopause, but a few will suffer with symptoms that change their quality of life during this time.
What a lot of people don’t realise is that menopause can also have a negative impact on women’s overall health. Women’s risks from heart disease, breast cancer and osteoporosis rise after the menopause. However, simple improvements in lifestyle at this time in a woman’s life can protect women from serious health problems later in life. Information and disease modifying steps will enable women to life happier, healthier and longer lives.
At the IFPA, we provide a full specialised health check for women around the time of menopause. This health check provides evidence-based information, assesses any health risks and supports women to develop a personal health plan for the menopause and beyond.
During a menopause health check, our trained and experienced doctor will take a full medical history. And will also check:
- Blood pressure
- Body Mass Index (BMI) and weight
- Blood test (full blood count, kidney function, liver function, blood sugar, cholesterol and lipids, hormone levels and thyroid)
- Breast check
- Smear history and smear test if indicated
- Osteoporosis risk assessment and arrange DEXA (bone density) scan if indicated
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) assessment and prescription if required (depending on medical history)
- Lifestyle assessment and recommendations
In order to get accurate result for blood sugar and cholesterol women need to be fasting for 12-14 hours before appointment. Results will be delivered by post approximately two weeks after appointment.
The cost of a menopause health check is €125. A repeat consultation costs €60.
- A non-refundable deposit of €50 is required to book a menopause health check.
- The menopause health check is not covered on the medical or GP card.
Owing to the recent and rapid increase in COVID-19 cases, we have introduced some new measures to protect you during your care.
Some consultations will be postponed, and others will now take place by telephone. For certain services, you may still need to attend for appointments. If you need to attend an appointment, we assure you that our staff adhere to the highest standards of hygiene to keep you safe during your visit.
If you have symptoms of coronavirus/COVID-19, are awaiting a test result, or are a close contact of a confirmed or suspected case, you should not attend the clinic. Please contact us and we can discuss how best to provide you with the care you need.