The IFPA has carried out over 10,000 vasectomies, making us Ireland’s most experienced vasectomy provider.
Vasectomy is a safe, convenient and effective permanent method of contraception, which is suitable for men who are sure that they or they and their partners do not want any or any more children.
How Vasectomy Works
Vasectomy is a minor surgical procedure that seals the tubes which carry the sperm from your testicles to your penis. The operation is carried out under local anaesthetic and takes about 10 minutes to complete. After the operation you will still be able to ejaculate, but your semen will no longer contain any sperm so you cannot make your partner pregnant. The sperm in your testicles are naturally reabsorbed back into the body and do not build up. The operation does not affect the production of the male hormone. Two follow-up tests are required to confirm the absence of sperm in your semen.
- Vasectomy is the most effective method of contraception with a failure rate of one in 2,000
- Vasectomy involves far less risks than female sterilisation
- The one-time cost of vasectomy is much less than the repeat cost of other modern forms of long-term contraception
- It is a permanent one-time method of contraception suitable for couples or men who want to enjoy sex without fear of pregnancy
- Initial vasectomy consultation: €100
- Vasectomy procedure: €350
- Two semen tests: €40 (payable to the Rotunda Hospital)
Free aftercare and follow-up care (if necessary)